[Spridgets] Keep blowin' fuses

chris_west chris_west at juno.com
Sat Feb 20 08:10:24 MST 2010

The rating of these fuses has been a source of confusion for as long as I
can remember (or longer, considering the state of my memory these days!)
The Lucas #188218 fuse is marked  something like 17ACR - 35 Amps.  That
17ACR, I have been told, means 17 Ampere Continuous Rating, denoting that
it will happily carry a 17 amp load "all day long" (note I said day
because we all know what Lucas electrics do at night!)  The 35 amp rating
is the instantaneous current at which the fuse says "no mas!" and ceases
to conduct.  American fuse ratings seem to be different.  I think,
possibly, that the marked rating is the "continuous" spec, for in the
past I have successfully substituted (in an "emergency") 20 amp rated
American fuses for the 35 amp Lucas without blowing the fuse due to  too
much current draw, even when using all circuits wired through that fuse
(maximum draw.)

(Aside to Mike: The xxx in my chassis # after my signature is because I
sometimes use that chassis # as a password to a different account. -
Chris)

Chris - AN5L35xxx