[Spridgets] Midgiata - quite a story

Ron Soave soavero at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 4 20:57:53 MST 2010

Those of you from way back on the list will remember contributor Tom Speed, a fountain of Spridget knowledge, particularly of racing Spridgets. Tom was an exceptional guy who was left paralyzed in a motorcycle accident while riding to the SCCA Runoffs. I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to remember that his son Will was on the back of the bike but was unhurt in the accident. In an incredible story, from his wheelchair Tom led Will (15 years old back then) through a ground-up build of his own SCCA Spridget. Tom passed away a few years ago, and Will tragically, unbelievably, had a motorcycle accident and is now paralyzed from the waist down. Apparently Will inherited his father's grit, and is building a Spridget with a Miata drivetrain. I'll be following this - you might want to as well:

http://midgiata.webs.com/apps/blog/

Ron