[Spridgets] fuel line mystery

Brad Fornal tequila.brad at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 10:29:01 MST 2010

Linda, I'm sorry, but I think you need to physically get under her, to
"look up her skirt" if you get my drift.<G>
Our 68 wouldn't start, as the pump was not clicking. I got my floor
jack out, put it under the right front leave spring mount, and raised
it up as it would go. With it raised, I was able to get under the car,
and get a look around. The line from the front, back to the pump, is
metal, even up about 6" going to the pump. The hose curls up to the
top of the sheet metal, then back down to the pump. If your Spridget
is like most of them, the black fuel hose will blend in with the oil
reside that coats the rear half of the car. There should also be a
hose from your pump, back to the tank. Again, with all the oil
coating, it will be difficult to see.
Sorry, I just don't believe a mirror is sufficient for assessing your
problem.

Brad

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Linda Grunthaner <grunthaner at gmail.com>
wrote:
> List,
> I looked under my 62 Sprite to locate the problem fuel line and cannot find
> any rubber hose near the tank. As some of you recall I had a fuel problem
in
> the fall where I had to put a soda bottle with fuel to my carbs to get
Pinky
> home from a short drive. Some Lister's thought there was a cracked rubber
> fuel line sucking air near my tank but after crawling under with a mirror I
> see a hard steel line coming from the bottom of the fuel tank and that
> appears to stretch all the way to under the hood where I have replaced all
> the rubber fuel hoses.
>
> Before I pull the line and blow air (my other LBC had crap in the line that
> came out like a black snake with using compressed air) is there some curve
> missed in the chassis which has an additional rubber section of hose? Or
> perhaps there is a gasket near the tank that is cracked allowing air to be
> sucked in? I looked through 4 Sprite books and 2 parts catalogs and did not
> find good enough info tracing the tank to the carbs in it's entirety. It is
> too cold to pull the lines out today but I hear it is going up to the 40's
> the end of next week although if I need parts then I should order them
> today.
>
> I was hoping to just pull a rubber hose out & replace it today but with all
> projects it is 10 times prep equals the job done.
> Thanks,
> Linda

> Support Team.Net B http://www.team.net/donate.html
>
> Suggested annual donation $12.75