[Spridgets] Trying to start up the old MG

Gerard pixelsmith at gerardsgarage.com
Thu Jul 15 01:20:10 MDT 2010

Kevin,

OK, I gotta chime in here... All great suggestions so far, however no
one has mentioned that you will most likely have NO oil pressure after
the car has been sitting for this long. Once you have followed all the
previous tips, especially the Marvel Mystery Oil and old gas issues,
you should not try to start the engine without first making sure it
develops some oil pressure on the gauge. My experience is that no
amount of cranking, even with the plugs out, will give you any oil
pressure. You can try, but even engines I've tried to fire after
sitting even a couple years will have already drained all the oil from
the oil pump. With the pump completely dry, it will only suck more air.

An easy way to deal with the issue is to remove either the pressure
relief valve or the banjo bolt at the oil filter bypass connection at
the block. Both these are 15/16" hex head, located  at the right rear
of the engine block, just below the cylinder head. The pressure relief
valve is the one with the domed head and is below the filter bypass
connection. If you remove the bypass one, there will be a spring and a
small piston you will need to remove. Depending on the size of your
little finger, you may be able extract the hollow piston by inserting
your finger, otherwise, use a small magnetic wand. If you remove the
banjo bolt, take care not to lose the copper washers on either side of
the pipe connection. A few squirts of oil with an oil can or a squeeze
bottle will usually do the trick. Reinstall whichever parts you
removed and crank it with the plugs out until you start to see the
needle move on the oil pressure gauge. Once you have pressure, and
your carbs are de-shellacked of old gas, clean the plugs before re-
installing and make sure you have spark. Depending on the
environmental conditions where the car was stored, you may be
surprised that it will start and run fine, though it may smoke for a
while.

One more thing. The cooling system will probably need a good cleaning.
There will be corrosion between the cast iron head and the aluminum
thermostat housing and you could have enough rust build up in the
system that passages are blocked. The thermostat will likely be toast
too.  Make sure to flush the system well before letting it run for any
length of time.

Good luck!

Gerard
http://gerardsgarage.com/