[Spridgets] Rear Hub Bearing

Dean Hedin dlh2001 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 16 23:07:26 MDT 2010

First we must ask: "How did the wire wheels get put onto the Bugeye?"

This might help us in the diagnosis of the problem.

Is this an original Healey wire wheel kit?  No?

Is this a later wire wheel axle that has had all its flanges cut off and 1/4
elliptic mountings welded on?  No?

Perhaps this is someone who has pressed the axles in the splined hub and has
forgotten to machine those few splines that pretrude out of the hub after
having those axles pressed?

You know, those axle splines that will interfere with the axle bearing (and
apply undo pressure) if you don't do something about them?

Yep...There's certainly a lot going on when putting wire wheels on a Bugeye.
They didn't come that way...and the All Mighty doesn't want them that way.