[Spridgets] Another British Engine

Frank Clarici spritenut at comcast.net
Tue Jun 15 19:50:14 MDT 2010

On 6/15/2010 8:09 PM, Larry Daniels wrote:

> I have also owned a car that I considered a "sports car", but more
> accurately a "GT" car (a 240Z).  Is a "GT" car a separate classification or
> a sub-classification?

When did a "GT" car become a "sports" car.
GT stands for (stood for) Grand Touring, a grand touring car was a 4
door convertible or a GRAND car with no top so you could see what you
were touring.

And what about "SUV" Sports, Utility, Vehicle.
Nothing sporty about any of them, and none of them are very utilitarian.
I love watching owners of them try and load anything besides groceries
in the back on the fancy wooly carpets. :)
But they are "vehicles".
The basic station wagon was more utilitarian, it would hold a 4x8 sheet
of plywood and a stack of 2x4s and STILL fit 3 across the front seat.
Can you do that in ANY jeep out there made since 1990?

Sports cars, as I see it, are open cars suitable for the open road and
the race track.
They call big Healeys "sports cars" but they handle like a Massey
Furgeson. They are great in a straight line. But they are open and some
have made it to the track.
MG T series were called Sports cars, not very fast but again, open and
on the race track in their heyday.

I don't think Sporty looking classifies a car as a sports car.
Everything is sporty looking in their owners eye.
Is a Toyota Crapolla S a "sports car"?
What does the "S" stand for, I have a good idea, they just couldn't fit
the -hit after the S.
The Toyota truck at least has the letters TuRD on it.

Now lets talk about "Sports Coups" BMWs, Audis, Fiats, etc
Snappy smaller nimble cars.

These are just some of my unbiased opinions.
I am sure I will be "corrected" even if I think I am not wrong ;)
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ