[Spridgets] Starters, Solenoids, "good" parts, etc.

Peter Caldwell peter at nosimport.com
Wed Jun 16 14:45:36 MDT 2010

I probably shouldn't write this, but I've had 10 glorious days in
Canadia doing the fly-in fishing gig, with no phones or computers. Wonderful.

Anyway,  Starters... yes, they can go bad slowly. They are very easy
to repair with brushes, unless they go too long and the armatures go
bad. Local rebuilders can repair them easily, and cheaply. Parts are
readily available. NEW ones are problematic, and the parts don't
interchange.  The biggest problems are either a loose cable
connection or an improperly tightened cable connection. The inner nut
must be held while the outer nut is tightened.... especially on the
starter with the cover band (25022). The stud is weakly welded to the
2 hot brushes and this weld will break if the stud is allowed to
move. The wrench required must be thin and is an odd size. 1/4W or
nearly 9/16. This connection is often abused resulting in a bad
connection, premature brush wear, and sparks.

Solenoids.... the cable actuated type, and the later push button
type, are being made by some place in either India or farther East.
It doesn't matter much... they're crap. I've gone through several
push button ones on my car, and they chap my a$$. I had 50, or so, of
the original Lucas made in UK that I wish I hadn't sold. If you want
a "good" one, you'll have to find an older one. Nothing in the past
15 years. Now, do you need one? Understand how they work? 2 large
studs with copper faces that are bridged with a copper strap when the
cable is pulled, or button pressed, or the electro-magnet is
energized (switch). That's it! What goes bad with these is that the
contact surfaces get dirty or pitted. Dirty can be banged clean, even
some spray can make it in there. Pitted is the result of prolonged
contact not made solidly either because of cable adjustment or the
holding voltage of the ignition switch is wanting.

It doesn't matter if you buy the solenoid from me, Ed, Moss, VB, RF,
AHS, or GOD, if it is new current stock, it's all the same stuff. If
you are lucky, you might find one that is the older stock. The part
number you want for the pull type is 76701  That is Lucas' part
number. You'll find it stamped on the housing. Don't dis these places
and their parts because they have the current ones and they are crap.
TELL THE VENDOR, and maybe they will insist on better quality from
the manufacturer..... maybe. Maybe you'll have to pay more than
$34.65.... tell them you are willing to pay $75.00 for a properly
made one.   Would you?  This is a bigger issue than solenoids, btw.

  One of the problems with "our" cars is that the parts are common to
other cars still current in India, for example, and those parts are
made for that market, more than for our restorations and occasional
use, so looks (especially) and quality, um... vary, to be kind.

I gotta go, but had to say this.

Peter C.  oh no, not another fish!