[Spridgets] Tired Starter

David Lieb 72spridget at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 05:24:05 MDT 2010

 >>> I need to get this streight are you saying this (see below) is
not a solenoid? This is very similar to mine on my 62 and I think
correct me if I am wrong the same as the Bugeye so it is only called a
switch? I have some books saying it is a solenoid ans some say a switch.

Lin,
It serves the main function of a solenoid; it turns on high-amperage
current to the starter. It is not truly a "solenoid." it gets called
one a lot by people who think the term means something about turning
on the starter, but it is a highly inaccurate usage. As I mentioned, a
solenoid is electrically activated. The valve in my gas-fired clothes
dryer which turns on the gas to the burner is a solenoid; the switch
in my Bugeye which turns on the starter is not. Please note that even
the link that you posted calls it a switch.
David L