[Spridgets] Painting in Your Garage

Kirk Hargreaves khargreaves2 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 12:09:18 MDT 2010

Just to mention.  A guy in town who years ago mentored me in shooting Harley
custom paint jobs (I currently focus completely on restoring vintage
guitars). .  . this guy shoots all his bike parts in his garage.

I built a walk in spray booth on the side of the house. .  but this fellow
uses his garage.

He keeps the floor wet and shuts the garage door down on top of a fan. .
nothing else.

He runs the fan for 15 minutes before he paints.

His jobs are perfect and he has won many awards for his work.

I asked him about all the crap on the floor of the garage, around the edges,
dust and stuff.  His answer, "No problem unless I stir it up. .  which I
don't."

I have a garden hose running full time to the floor of my booth when I shoot
and from my experience, a wet floor makes a big difference in keeping nibs
out of the paint and the clear coats.

A small car of course is a larger object than a guitar or bike tanks and
fenders. .  but it seems to me that the wet floor plays the biggest role in
keeping the nibs off the job.

An auto body shop I am familiar with in town also keeps the floor wet in
their booth.

Just a some random thoughts on the subject!

Kirk