[Spridgets] 97 Mercury Sable, no LBC But a car question

David Riker davriker at nwi.net
Mon Mar 1 08:55:48 MST 2010

Pinto was just the first car to be publicly flogged for having an exploding
gas tank, however, all Ford compact and mid-size from the '60's had drop in
gas tanks.  They figured out if the gas tank was installed from above and
lowered into the trunk, they could save labor, speed production, and the gas
tank doubled as the trunk floor.  The fuel filler then either came up and
above the bumper, centered in the rear panel, or was hidden behind the
license plate.  This design was used in the Falcon, Comet, Fairlane,
Cyclone, Torino, Mustang, and Cougar.  In a rear end collision, the tank
would rupture, and spray gasoline on the rear seatback, which was basically
burlap and cotton.  As soon as there was any spark, the fuel soaked seat
would catch fire and incinerate all passengers.  The Pinto was actually
safer, as the fuel tank was mounted below the luggage compartment and
outside of the vehicle, however, due to it's compact dimensions, the rear
leaf spring was notorious for pucnturing the tank in a collision, and
documents were uncovered that showed a plate installed between the spring
perch and the tank reduced the likely hood of the puncture.  It was Ford
Motor's knowledge of the design "flaw" and the decision not to modify it due
to cost savings that led to the lawsuits on the Pinto.

As for the Chevrolet with side saddle mounted fuel tanks, at the time of the
design, this was an improvement in safetey.  The 1967-1973 Chevrolet pickups
had the fuel tank mounted INSIDE the cab behind the seatback (also very
common for this time period, I believe Ford and Dodge tanks were in the cab
too).  In a rear end collision, the truck bed would be smashed into the cab
(this is before crumple zones) and the tank could split open and spray the
occupants with fuel.  The 1974 redesign moved the fuel tanks out of the cab
and mounted them below the truck, just outside of the frame rails.  The
design met all safety and crash standards in place for 1974.  The
controversy was that Dateline filmed a truck being hit broadside, and their
producers wanted to insure a dramatic explosion, so they mounted incidiary
devices in the truck and on cue, blew it up in front of the cameras.

I am always amazed at how increadibly reliable and low maintenance current
automobiles REALY are, I mean in just the last few posts we warned a newbie
about pinning thrust bearings to make sure his 50,000 mile engine didn't
self destruct.  I mean really?  When is the last time somebody said, hey,
you know, you better rebuild your 50,000 mile engine?  Our memories seem to
be pretty short when it comes to just how crappy ALL cars were 40 years ago.
Drum brakes used to need adjusted every 3000 miles, and re-lined every
10,000 miles.  Valve jobs used to be necessary at 50,000 miles, and often a
ring job too.  Shocks lasted 20,000 miles, and don't get me started on those
Polyester bias ply tires.  There is a reason all the corner gas stations
converted their service bays into Pepsi coolers, and it isn't that the cars
are more complex (although they are) IT IS BECAUSE THEY DON'T BREAK DOWN
LIKE THEY USED TO.

Off my soap box now...
David R.