[Spridgets] Toyota Gas Pedal rant

Ron Soave soavero at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 13 08:53:12 MST 2010

--- On Sat, 3/13/10, David Booker <tncarnut1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Maybe. A modern unmodified car? No way. A Hybrid of all
> things? Give me a
> break.
>
> Shift into neutral. Turn it off.

Yes, I agree that the "runaway car" theory is ridiculous. But at, say, 68 MPH you are traveling 100 ft/second. Let's say you're on the LIE - is there even 100 feet between you and the car in front of you at 68 MPH?? Do you slow down when you go onto the exit ramp more than 100 feet before you need to brake or turn? If the throttle system malfunctions, you've maybe got 1/2  look at your stop watch and press try to start/stop within, say, 1/2 a second. Like it or not, even the best drivers can't process that a car is not decelerating, put it into neutral, hold the off button for 2 seconds, or mash the brake and not instinctively lift off it in 1/2 a second. That's the problem that warrants attention. I rent a car every 2 or 3 weeks. Most now have push buttons where you keep the key in your pocket. I find it stupid and unintuitive to push and hold a button to make the car stop (on my race car, I slap an ignition kill switch, and I have had the throttle
 stick and break at speed a few memorable times).