[Spridgets] Washer?

rrengineer @dslextreme.com rrengineer at dslextreme.com
Sat Mar 20 11:18:04 MST 2010

You guys that have done the Morriservice 5 speed conversion to your
spridget.  Do you remember if there was a fiber washer or any type of washer
to seal the speedo reduction gear box connection that Paul included when you
told him the tire diameter you were using?  I have a constant leak that I
think is coming for there after I re-installed the speedo cable after it
fell off at the transmission end at LotO in Missouri over a year ago.  I
have been wiping up and refilling the trans ever since.  It  had gotten
pretty low on oil recently and I complained to the list about crunching
going in and out of third gear.  I drained it before the last car show and
discovered I had a GL-5 gear oil in it.  Paul's instructions recommended a
GL-4 spec gear oil, so I re-filled it with the correct oil.  I don't know if
it was because the oil spec changed or the fact that the trans was full now
instead of low, but it now crunched in 2nd gear and went fine into 3rd!?!  I
am using a regular based gear oil, not a synthetic.  Now I am wondering what
Redline MT-90 would do?  I still need to swap out the after market synchros
with the Datsun ones Paul sent me over a year ago, but if I can put it off
while I am working on the BN2...
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite
56 BN2