[Spridgets] Motor Oil in the Gear Box

David Riker davriker at nwi.net
Tue Mar 23 20:52:04 MST 2010

Dean,
Bearings like lubrication, syncros do not.  The syncronizer teeth have to
bite into the opposing cone in a balancing act that eventually wears the
syncronizer out.  As the syncro bites at the cone, the cone spins up to
match the speed of the syncronizer, and then the gear change is possible.
If the lubricant is too thick, the film prevents the teeth from biting into
the cone.  If the lubricant is too slippery, the teeth can't bite into the
cone.  So you need a lube that is strong enough to protect the gears and
bearings, but not so slippery or thick as to prevent the syncros from
performing their function.  Too thin of a lubricant, and you will get
premature wear of the gears and bearings.  Thicker lubricants acts as a
cushion between the gears, quieting noisy gears.  Then again, without the
heat produced by combustion, there is far less heat generated in the
transmission than in the engine, so a muli-viscosity engine oil may never
behave like the higher number would suggest.

Here is a link to a viscosity chart:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/visc.html

As you can see, 85W gear oil is the same viscosity as 30W engine oil.  Thus,
the recomendation for a 75W-90 seems to make sense, however the use of
synthetic may be counter productive as it could be too slippery for the
syncros to function correctly.

Dave R.