[Spridgets] Pinky Update....problem solved cable to solenoid

Linda Grunthaner grunthaner at gmail.com
Mon May 24 22:54:05 MDT 2010

Problem solved, or at least one of them anyway. I dont recall who said my
solenoid might be bad but they were extremely close it was the cable. I
accidentally found the problem when I was tracing the wires from the battery
and also looked at the cable traveling from the starter pull on the dash to
the little metal rectangular box under the hood (only labeled switch in Moss
& some of my Sprite books but Solenoid in Victoria British) and saw that the
starter pull can be operated via under the hood saving me time of jumping
into the car to try and start it. When I pulled it from the cable the car
started like I had a brand new battery, when I pulled it from the dash it
barely turned over like the battery was dead. I did not know the solenoid
was that little metal box, I was thinking it was attached under the car near
the starter like big old American cars and wasnt ready to lift the car up
until I needed to pull the starter.

I looked through all 5 of my Sprite books and do not see anything regarding
the solenoid in the index but I havent finished going page per page. I
assume I will need to pull the cable from the dash and clean or replace the
cable.

BTW I had the article in the archives in mind when I pulled the cable
although I do not see Patricia who had a 59 Bugeye on the list any longer
but enjoyed her entry from 2002, read below link:

http://www.team.net/mharc/archives/html/spridgets/2002-03/msg01107.html

Also I found a battery box at NAPA it was just $9.00 fits great I will trim
it like the MOSS style that Biff mentioned. Although I do not see the metal
replacement in ether the MOSS or Victoria British catalogs, are we just
using plain old sheet metal for this?

Thanks again,

Linda