[Spridgets] Spark Plugz

Billy Zoom billyzoom at billyzoom.com
Sat Nov 27 14:09:53 MST 2010

Back in the early Seventies when I was really poor, I used to buy
reconditioned spark plugs at the local drug store. They were in a bubble
pack of eight for $6.99  I tried a set, and they worked great so I put them
in all of my cars for a number of years, and since none of my cars had eight
cylinders, it was extra, extra cheap. Anyway, since I never had a problem
cheap reconditioned drug store plugs, I assumed that there probably wasn't
much difference between brands. I switched to NGK about twenty years ago
mostly because that's what came stock in my CRX and it was easier than
cross- referencing to a different brand.
I haven't used Champions an about forty years, but I don't recall having a
problem with them back then. Were they always crap, or has there been a
decline in quality over the years? They were original equipment in a number
of my old cars like my Hudson Hornet and my Studebaker, and I usually just
use whatever it says in the owner's manual. That's why I have Autolites in
the Ranchero. Ron gave me a set of NGKs for the Sprite, so intend to use
those if Ron ever finishes my engine, if I ever finish painting the car.
BZ