[Spridgets] gone

BJNoSHOV8 bjshov8 at tx.rr.com
Thu Oct 28 19:15:36 MDT 2010

OK, I'll have to go ahead and pass on my last 2 rat stories.

1.  (If you remember I was the one that had rats in the back yard going
after my tomato plants.)  One night about 10:30 we were getting ready to
go to bed so I was going to go to the back yard and check on our dog.  I
opened the back door to go out, the dog had a rat cornered up against
the door so when I stepped out the rat stepped into the house.  I heard
my wife scream so I went back in the house to find out why.  The rat was
slowly walking around the edge of the room.  I sent her out to hold the
dog away from the patio, I left the back door open, and tried to herd
the rat out the door.  He took one look out the back door, and probably
remembering what had just happened to him he took off running and went
down the hall and around the corner.  We had no clue where he went, and
my wife said "we aren't going to bed until the rat is out of the
house".  I picked the living room to start looking.  I didn't see him
under any of the chairs so I started pulling cushions off of the sofa to
look under it.  The rat was under there and he took off running into the
bathroom.  I closed the door, thinking "now I've got you".  Our bath had
a separate room with the toilet and bathtub in it.  I grabbed my little
air pistol and went in there.  The rat jumped in the tub so I slid the
shower doors closed, and stood on the toilet to look over the doors.
The rat managed to climb the small hose connected to the shower head and
jumped on my shoulder.  I quickly knocked him off of my shoulder and now
both of us were in the same space.  The rat jumped up on my leg and
started climbing, me with shorts on.  I knocked the rat off and finally
got a shot with the air gun.  When I went in the bathroom my wife called
the neigbor lady and gave a play by play commentary on the events.  She
heard the air gun, then I came out and got a paper bag, then back in the
bathroom, then carried the rat out in the paper bag.

2.  We had gotten our rats under control for awhile.  Some years later
my wife asked me to find a new place to live, so I did.  Then a month
later she mentioned to me that she found rat signs in her garage so I
advised her to set a trap before the rat ate wiring under her car.  Then
after that she called me one night saying she had caught a rat in her
trap, it wasn't dead, and she couldn't bear to kill it.  I got my airgun
and drove over.  I pull up in the driveway obviously in a hurry, get out
with the air gun and go in the house, take care of her rodent visitor,
hustle back out to the car and drive off.  I didn't think about it at
the time but later realized that if any neigbors were watching they
would have been very suspicious.  Now realize that a low powered target
model airgun is still pretty big because it has big grips and a big air
chamber and pump assembly.  So if a neighbor knows that a woman is
divorced, and a man comes up late at night in an obvious hurry carrying
what looks like a real big pistol, then comes out after a short time and
leaves quickly, they might be really suspicious that something improper
had happened.

thus ends my rat stories