[Spridgets] Runs great, but terrible mileage - Weber 40 for sale

derf derf247 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 04:55:25 MDT 2010

To me, "Runs Great" implies good mileage.  If a car is properly carbed
and tuned it will get pretty good mileage if you drive conservatively
and not quite so good mileage if you drive like you stole it.  With a
fuel system swap that increases power one should expect a small
decrease in fuel economy.  It takes fuel to make power.
My opinion (and the general consensus?) is that the Weber side draft
swap for Spridgets yields a small increase in power, but a
disproportionately large decrease in economy, i.e., you give up too
much mileage for the small performance gains.  I don't think any
vacuum advance bandaid, mechanical dizzy, or 123 dizzy can bring fix
it.  I think Webers are just gas guzzlers.  That doesn't mean I
wouldn't use them.  A Weber  DGV down draft is a rock solid, reliable,
easy to tune, good carb, IMHO.  My preferred setup is a single HIF6
(or HIF44) on Spridgets.  (I heart SUs.)
The power bottle neck on a stock A-Series motor isn't the carbs, it is
the head ports.
Weber makes good carbs.  I think SU carbs are good, too.  I have never
been a fan of Strombergs.