[Spridgets] Torque wrench extension

BJNoSHOV8 bjshov8 at tx.rr.com
Fri Aug 5 16:39:21 MDT 2011

As an engineer I know more than a little about torque, bending and
deflection, but I stayed out of this discussion the first time around.

For a mechanical wrench of this type the amount of extension really
doesn't affect the torque.  You can play with their calculator and it
will show this as well.  For instance set the lefthand extension to 0
inches, which is the normal case with a torque wrench, now change the
length of the wrench to anything you want.  The torque applied to the
fastener will still equal the torque indicated at the wrench, because
that is exactly what it is measuring.  With different wrench lengths it
will take less pull by the user to achieve that torque.  Now if you add
an extension on the lefthand end of the wrench you will get a different
answer because now you have the applied torque indicated by the wrench
plus the force you are applying multiplied by the additional extension.
I'm not aware that this type of extension is commonly available but if
it is then their calculator would be very useful to you.  I could write
the equations to get the same answer.

Now if you are using a BEAM torque wrench, then it is slightly
different.  The calibration of the beam is based on a predetermined
bending moment condition in the beam.  If you put an extension on either
end of that type of wrench then you would change the bending
characteristics of the beam and get a different answer.

I have experience with both types of wrench and a wrench that clicks is
certainly easier to use, but a beam wrench that is not damaged and that
is used correctly will never go out of calibration.