[Spridgets] thermostat in the south......

Mark Endicott mark at nashvilletn.org
Mon Aug 8 09:45:02 MDT 2011

So I have a question,  Just what is considered too hot?

My 1275 will run 190 to 200 on a 95+ day in Tennessee.  It doesn't boil
(obviously) and the engine runs fine.  If it fill the radiator to the top of
the neck it will burp out what it doesn't want but only once then it is
fine.  I would think that 200 is OK for a cast iron block and head.  It has
been like this as long as I have had Spridgets, over 40 years.  I run a 180
Thermostat because I think that is the MINIMUM temp. that it should run, the
MAXIMUM temp is controlled by the cooling system not the thermostat.  My
thoughts have always been that if it doesn't boil it's ok.  I also use a
75/25 mix of water/antifreeze as our winters are relatively mild and my cars
stay in a heated garage.

Mark
Nashville