[Spridgets] Chevy Volt. . .Coal Burning (very little LBC)

Allen Hefner lbc77mg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 10:55:00 MDT 2011

Y'know, it's a shame that the media portrays the Volt as a plug-in electric
car.  That implies a very limited range before you have to charge it again.

The Volt has a small gas engine that charges the battery if you go beyond
the electric only range.  You plug it in overnight, but if you want to go on
vacation (which you can't do in a plug-in) you just fill up the tank every
hundred miles or so.  It works out to 40 mpg, which is about as good as a
gas-only econobox with a hi-mileing driver.

Just for fun, I checked Chevy dealer inventory within 100 miles of
Philadelphia.  That encompasses a LOT of Chebbie dealers.  The main Chevy
web site says that Volts start at just $32K.  Well, there are a total of
NINE volts within 100 miles of me, and ALL of them are over $43K.  That $32K
price includes the gov'mnt's $7500 rebate, which you may not qualify for.

Maybe GM should rethink their coal car marketing plan.  The fact is, no
matter how bad the economy gets, people are not going to waste money on a
hybrid when they can get a classic Spridget (or a brand new cheepy econobox)
for under $20K and get the same mpg.  I think Toyota did a better job
marketing the Prius.
I think I'll write to Obama.

 Allen Hefner
Norristown, PA