[Spridgets] Rust prevention

Seth Jones sethamosjones at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 19:27:12 MDT 2011

When I change the oil I tend to keep it in my copious drain pain until I feel
like taking it to an oil change place for disposal.  When I changed to the
datsun tranny, I just put the old shift lever, yoke, and backplate etc in the
drain pan to pickle.  I haven't seen any rust on any of these pars even years
later.  I have even hung the backplate on the wall after giving it a good
coating of grease.   sounds like the idea is sound.
On Aug 30, 2011 AD, at 6:15 PM, Kitterer Bob wrote:

> I have just given parts a good coating of engine oil, 30wt or heavier and
wrapped them in a oily rag.  They have done well for several years.  However
our humidity is rarely over 60% with a smaller temperature range.

> Bob Kitterer and Dolores
>
> 1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise) - in storage
> 1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor) - still in boxes - in storage
>
> On Aug 30, 2011, at 1:16 PM, Michael Rowe wrote:
>
>> One shelf of engine parts was awash in Irene, some plastic bags and boxes
leaked that shouldn't have, and some things floated in 16" of water and fell
over.  Everything that got wet is now out, rinsed, and drying in the beautiful
weather that followed .  I will cover everything with a rust preventative and
rebag, etc.

>> The first thought is to embalm everything in WD40, but rust is caused by
oxygen, not water.  How is WD40 as an oxygen barrier?  If I manage to keep
everything dry, what is the best barrier for stored parts?  Purchased parts
are often covered in something really gooey.

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/bkitterer@mac.com