[Spridgets] Looking forward to "50yrs of Midgets - A Spridget Event"

Trevor Jessie trevor.jessie at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 19:36:09 MST 2011

"50 Years of Midgets - A Spridget Event!!

July 18-22, 2011

In 2008 I was unable to attend the 50yr sprite jubilee in PA. So I opted to
attend the event at Lake of the Ozarks. I honestly did not know what to
expect from this event, but I figured that I would at least get to put a few
faces with names of people I had met over the internet. It turns out that
the event had a whole lot more to offer.

I had attend several large car events. For example MG2006, it was a good
event with a nice venue, but with so many different types of MG's I had a
little trouble meeting up with midget people. Many of the displays and tech
sessions didn't seem very relevant. Another example is a regional Healey
event I attended. It had similar problems as the MG event, but further
complicating issues was the number of rather lethargic Big Healey owners.
I'm not saying all Big Healey owners are lethargic, but there were a fair
number at this particular event that weren't much interested in driving
their cars, and really had no interest in anything that wasn't directly
related to their car.

So when I went to the Lake of the Ozarks(LotO) event, I really did not know
what to expect. I was very surprised and impressed. It was far from a
polished event. It had its fair share of glitches, but those glitches showed
the nature of most spridget owners. In general, we are a group of problem
solvers that like a little adversity and can appreciate quirkiness. There
are also a fair number of use that can laugh at ourselves.

The common bond of these spridgets is rather unique. At the LotO event there
were perpetual tech sessions. Fuel pumps were replaced, carbs were tuned,
suspension bushings were replaced, timing was adjusted, etc. Yet none of
this was on the agenda. These were all things occurring in the parking lots
out of necessity, courtesy, or curiosity. There was never a shortage of help
and gawkers always felt welcomed. There were also spontaneous driving tours
where groups of people decided to take advantage of breaks in the weather.
The unplanned portion of the event was the icing on the cake.

The planned events at LotO were great as well. The gymkana had was a light
hearted competition. There was no one out there badgering the judges. People
were having fun and the spectators had a great view. The autocross had a
similar feel, though people seemed to be taking it a little more serious.
But since it was not sanctioned by any organization there was no stress.
There were also events that i had not seen at any other car meet (such as
"start the spridget competition"). Evening tech session were directly
related to the cars we all drive, and the talk at the bar always came back
around to our beloved LBC.

It was a very unpretentious setting were all makes and variation of
spridgets/owners were welcomed. I'm looking forward to this years event in
hopes that it recaptures some of the magic. I've made my hotel reservations,
filled out my registration including the Road America Track Tour, the
Autocross, Popular choice car show, and of course... the awards banquet.

This may be the last all inclusive spridget event for some time. I'm not
going to miss it, and I'd like to see as many of you there as possible.

Information Here:
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63&Itemid=126