[Spridgets] Off topic posts

Larry Daniels ladaniels at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 25 21:41:34 MST 2011

Derf, I'll answer your questions to clear the air, but let's let it go then.
OK?

Just so there is no misunderstanding, I am not a lawyer.  I worked in law
enforcement for ten years and started going to school to become a lawyer
while doing that.  I found a particular aspect of the law that I liked and
now work at it from a related area of another field -- often with lawyers.

What I referred to as BS should be obvious from the second paragraph of my
response to Ron's comments about the right to a trial and the concept of
presumed innocence until proven otherwise.  Which was right on, BTW.  I was
speaking of listers who said things like it is legal in certain
jurisdictions to shoot a fleeing felon or to shoot somebody in the back who
has stolen your TV.  Who said that doesn't matter.  It was extremely
irresponsible and foolish to tell somebody that it is ok to shoot somebody
under those circumstances.  It is NOT ok to act as judge, jury and
executioner.  It is ok to defend yourself or others from death or great
bodily harm with the minimum force necessary.  Really, I can't believe this
even needs to be pointed out, but evidently it does.  That is why I
participated even though I really think this whole topic has gone way
overboard and should be taken elsewhere at some point.  Doesn't ED have a
forum for such things?  BTW, those comments were generic and not aimed at
you or anybody else in particular.

Lastly, even though I am not a lawyer so it doesn't really matter, I did not
give any legal advice.  In fact, I specifically stated that anybody who
thinks those things are ok, should contact their local police or an attorney
for an opinion.  Yeah, I work with the law enough to know to cover my butt.
;-)

Enough.  Now, let's let this die.

LAD