[Spridgets] Shipping Booze

Bob Gardner rdgard at cox.net
Sat Feb 26 15:13:08 MST 2011

I make wine and have been  trying to send some to friends.  I have checked
everywhere and the bottom line is that it is illegal to ship spirits by any
means.  It is a felony to ship by US Mail or Fed-X or UPS and others.  The
felony occurs when you lie about the contents of a shipment and send banned
substance (booze).  I have heard of people who ship by calling it something
else, but if they are caught, it is a big time serious problem, and for me
not worth it.  The feds really go after a felony conviction. I think it was
about a $50,000 fine plus a felony conviction.

Official wine or beer or spirits businesses, can pay a premium for a permit
to ship and it is not too much but it is very difficult to get and keep.  I
think you have to prepay estimated alcohol taxes, register and be inspected
by the ABC etc.  Really hard.

The only way to actually do it for an individual, is to make friends with a
company who has a permit and talk them into shipping it for you.

I did read that there are a few states that have extra restrictions but if
you have the permit, you can ship to most places.

Cheers,

Bob

Robert D. Gardner

Gardner Productions LLC