[Spridgets] Metro Radiator

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 15:06:22 MDT 2011

Weelllllllllll.....  Not exactly, derf...   (my fluid dynamics kicks in
here...)  The elements in the core of the radiator act as "obstacles in the
flow".  Think of the airflow as a liquid (it is, in fact, a fluid).  Certain
patterns of obstacles can set up a perturbation and blocking wave pattern
just upstream of the obstacle which can interrupt the flow over the
elements. All radiators will do this to some extent. It is the reason why an
electric fan "forcing" a "turbulent flow" into the elements is more
efficient in getting air through the radiator and thus cooling.

There are additional problems with turbulence once the air gets into the
core of the radiator, but they are way more complicated than the blocking
pattern on its surface.  The great fluid dynamicist Theodore Von Karman is
supposed to have said; "When I die I expect God will reveal the Grand
Unifying Theory of physics to me. I have no such hopes for turbulence."

Cheers!!
Jim