[Spridgets] Poor Eduction, was Obama Genius, Etc

kgb at frontiernet.net kgb at frontiernet.net
Tue Jun 7 08:44:59 MDT 2011

I was pretty much the same way. I was reading the newspaper before I started kindergarten, helped my mother with her nursing exams when I was 9, and completely lost interest in school when a 6th grade teacher took one of my brother's WWII novels away from me and ordered me to read something more appropriate to my grade level.

Our family gatherings consisted of medical conversations about the critical patient of the day, as both my aunts were also RNs,and my grandmother had also been a nurse. I participated in the discussions and was expected to become an MD. Unfortunately, never having had a math teacher, the subject went completely over my head.

In high school, things only got worse. I signed up for both Russian and German, and was told I could not take both as I would get confused. I attempted to explain that I was certain that would not happen, as I already spoke German, and had since a small child. As a sophomore, I was allowed to take 1st year German and, after 2 weeks, was transferred to the 3rd year class, which upset my counselor immensely.

I had already flunked algebra and biology, but was allowed to take anatomy and physiology on the recommendation of my biology instructor. I passed it with a B+, although by this time I was skipping more classes than I attended. I quit attending completely after getting in a royal dustup with a history teacher who was teaching a completely insane version of Native American history, particularly the Custer battle. He told me I didn't know what I was talking about, and that my great grandfather couldn't have been there, as there were no survivors. I replied that there were over 900 survivors, and my great grandfather happened to be one, and walked out, never to return.

Stand by for Chapter 2

Kate