[Spridgets] Need help in dealing with a missing title

David Groundwater dwgwater at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 21 13:53:47 MDT 2011

The self storage industry has done a good job getting laws passed to make it
easy for storage facilities to get title to and sell/dispose of all the stuff
the gets abandoned in storage units. The statute John cites is an example.
However, storage facilites also have written agreements and such when people
leave their stuff that make clear why the stuff is being left. If this is a
deal where the car owner had a handshake deal with the hanger owner, it will
pay to talk to someone who can make sure the I's are dotted and the T's
crossed.  You'd hate to get caught in the middle of a fight in which the car
owner decides to claim he left it with the hanger owner to be repaired and the
hanger owner sold it out from under him. The owner has a title and the fact
that you paid for for the car may not win if the title-holder can convince a
judge the car was stolen. This is a potentially valuable car and you're
getting it cheap.  Spend a couple bucks on a lawyer who represents storage
facilities and get a clean title.
Dave