[Spridgets] Thinking of Frank--Made in America

Mike MacLean rrengineer.mike at att.net
Thu May 5 09:18:41 MDT 2011

As far as accuracy goes, my buddy that restores big Healeys for auction is an
amazing mechanic and an encyclopedia of mechanical knowledge.  I have watched
him torque a head WITHOUT a torque wrench.  I asked him how close he was to
the correct torque.  He handed me a beam type torque wrench and said, "check
it".   Damn if he had not just about nailed the right torque specs!  He's got
the most amazing talent removing bolts that are corroded and rusty without
braking the heads off.  The same bolts I break with regularity.  Some people
just have the touch.
Mike MacLean

Sent from my iPhone

On May 5, 2011, at 6:51, an5.sprite at gmail.com wrote:

> Larry,
>
> I did not know that, thanks
>
> Steve

store them at any setting except zero. If you do the spring remains compressed
and will go off adjustment just that much faster. I have a SnapOn I bought 30
years ago. I recently compared it with a beam type. It was spot on. Always
backed off to zero.

> Larry
>
> On May 4, 2011, at 18:05 PM, bjshov8 at tx.rr.com wrote:
>
>> When I was a full time mechanic all that we had were the beam-type
wrenches.  I'm not sure that I fully trust the click type.

>> The beam type are harder to use in several ways, but they will always work.
The click type are easier to use but might or might not give you the correct
torque.

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/lmacy@mac.com

> --
>
> Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
> macy at upenn.edu
> Senior IT Program Director
> Neuropsychiatry Section
> Department of Psychiatry
> University of Pennsylvania
> 3400 Spruce St. - 1015 Gates
> Philadelphia, PA 19104
>
> "Now there is one outstandingly important fact regarding Spaceship Earth,
and that is that no instruction book came with it." --Buckminster Fuller
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/an5.sprite@gmail.com