[Spridgets] HE BACKED INTO MY CAR.

Billy Zoom billyzoom at billyzoom.com
Fri May 6 18:08:35 MDT 2011

Years ago, an old guy wiped out three parked cars with his Buick. My
Studebaker was in the middle of the sandwich. Of course, his insurance
company began with the argument that my car was too old to be worth more
than $200, but that was pretty easy to get around, since the cars were all
parked when he hit them, and I just kept insisting that I wanted it put back
the way it was regardless of what they thought it was worth. Where I ran
into trouble was getting an estimate for having it fixed.  I couldn't find a
body shop that would touch it. His insurance ended up paying for the only
shop that work on it, and they did a really crappy job. I brought them a NOS
quarter panel and rear apron, and the just bondoed the original panels
anyway. I ended up getting caught between his insurance company and a
cut-throat body shop. The Studebaker never really recovered and I ended up
selling it for $100 because the body work was so bad. I think my point is
that getting an estimate will be the hardest part. They won't just pay you
what you tell them it's going to cost to fix it. You'll have to get a body
shop involved, and most of them don't get it when it comes to collector
cars.
BZ