[Spridgets] He backed into my car.

Bob Gardner rdgard at cox.net
Sat May 7 15:16:34 MDT 2011

Rick,

Here is my big idea.  You want something done which is more than just fixing
the dent. He wants to pay as little as possible and keep it off of his
record.  And he has a way to get the work done at a discount to him.  Not in
your best interest unless you get more for less.

So, I suggest you get three high end estimates for the work and then show
him the highest one.  Say that is our base line, I want you go get a good
deal and I want a good deal also.  So, if your body shop can do the extra
work and paint the whole car after you do most of the prep, for less than
the high end estimate, you would be happy with that, as you get some extra
and a full paint job and he probably has to pay less than your high ball
estimate.  Bingo, everyone wins, and you keep a happy neighbor.

Cheers,

Bob in San Diego

Robert D. Gardner

Gardner Productions LLC
Film and Video Production since 1978
619-460-1000
www.gardnerproductions.com

Well here's the scoop after talking to the neighbor.
He has a close friend who owns a body and paint shop where they paint cars.
Neighbor also owns the building the shop guy leases. (WTH doesn't this guy
own?)
He gave me the shop owners home phone number and said he already called him
and the guy is ready to come out to my place this weekend and take a look at
the car.

Here's what I'd like to get when this is finished.
I'd like to bolt on a pair of earlier fenders, I already have the turn
indicators for the early car and this has been my long term plan anyway.
I have 4 early fenders in the back yard, don't know if any of them make a
matching pair though.
Is it that hard to take fenders off a 1500 car and replace them with an
early pair?

Then I'd like to have the whole car painted by the paint shop guy.
Don't think one corner of damage is really worth the whole car painted but
that would be nice.
However if I take the body work out of the equation then it may be feasible
to ask for the whole respray.
I will strip the car of all bright bits, I will sand down and fill any small
dings, I will strip out the interior and loosen the windscreen so it will
come off easily.
They just have to put it in their shop, pull the windshield, maybe block it
a bit & clean it again then spray it.

Well that's what I will propose anyway.
As discussed here and elsewhere paint is expensive and hard to do.
Having a shop completely set up to do it makes it a lot easier.

Rick Bastedo