[Spridgets] Gear Reduction Starter

Steven Guterman an5.sprite at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 10:19:31 MST 2011

Jeff,

First let me say the gear reduction starters are great.  I bought mine from
British starters because i did not want to modify my inner foot well with a
big hammer.  They machine a new front housing and attach it to a rebuilt
starter.  The fit is very still very close and I ended up filing off a
corner of the starter to get a bit more clearance.

The other cheaper option I copied from a old email:

The 1989 Isuzu Trooper II 2.6 liter fuel injected 4 cylinder engine uses
a starter that is a near perfect fit for the A-series engine found in
Sprites and Midgets. The starter fits all 948, 1098, and 1275 A-series
blocks. The are two frame numbers listed for the Trooper. The 17155 is a
perfect fit in all respects but seems to be no longer available. The
16878 fits the engine perfectly but requires a little modification to some
sheet metal. It is the latter, the 16878, that you will probably get over
the counter, unless you are very lucky".
The Isuzu starter is available in places like Pep Boys, Advance Auto, etc
for about $70.

steve