[Spridgets] Broken axle/differential?

Kenneth Klemmer kaklemmer1969 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 17:56:47 MDT 2011

Hi all, i need help diagnosing this problem.

This morning while pulling away from a light, i heard a pop, and then nothing
happened. Engine fine but car wouldnt go in any gear.  Upon further
investigation in a parking lot (good thing sprites are easily pushed) i found
that the driveshaft would turn while in gear, but no power to the wheels.  So
after a tow home, i jacked up the car tonight, expecting a broken axle.

What i found: the right wheel rotated but was tight feeling.  The left did not
rotate the opposite way nor did the driveshaft rotate.  Went to rotate the
left wheel and the driveshaft eventually turned, but a lot of play.  Then went
back to the right and turned it and the driveshaft began turning with that
side too.  It was still pretty tight.   Back to the left and it now rotates
the driveshaft with no play.

This leads me to think my axles are intact, but i blew something in the diff.
Am i correct?  I assume dropping the axle (i just rebuilt the suspension, this
is a 1/4 elliptical mark 1/2) is in order, but this gives me an excuse to
change the rear gearing i suppose.

Thanks!