[Spridgets] Broken axle/differential?

Macy Larry lmacy at mac.com
Sun Oct 9 05:01:57 MDT 2011

I had this happen once before. Frank was convinced it was a half shaft. But he gave me a diff pumpkin anyway. I was right, it was the diff. Half shafts were fine. I suspect, but only have experiential evidence, that when they stuck the 1500 in the cars, they hardened the half shafts.

Evidence: 2 1500's  (76 & 78), 0 broken half shafts, 2 broken diff pumpkins, 100,000+ miles.

Or maybe they made the diff weaker ;-)

Larry

On Oct 7, 2011, at 12:16 AM, derf wrote:

> You will probably find one axle shaft broken.  Remove both and use a
> broomstick handle to push out the broken piece.

Don't you love it when your brain knows what's right, and your fingers don't listen?

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy at upenn.edu
Senior IT Program Director
Neuropsychiatry Section