[Spridgets] Re What fluid for clutch Master cylinder

Kurt Appley kmappley at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 07:10:48 MDT 2011

Well I'm trying my darnedest to stay out of the on going ethanol debate but
since I can't seem to avoid controversy I have to comment on Dot 5 fluid. I
bought a 72 MGB and rebuilt it in the mid 70's. Bought it cheap with dings
everywhere. The brakes were already giving the tell tale signs we are all
familiar with so I completely redid them with the then new Dot 5 silicone
fluid.

A friend now owns that car and the brakes still work as they should and have
never even been bled since my work in the 70's.

I now own some cars that I have converted to Dot 5 and some cars running Dot
4. I'm trying to live with Dot 4 since I like the brake feel better. Dot 4
has a thinner viscosity that I think I prefer and recently rebuilt dual
master cylinders don't seem to seal as easily though with use they seem to
be reducing the amount they seep. I have been wadding up a paper towel in
front of the cylinders to catch the seep and that has worked just fine. BTW
I believe that Dot 5 has a higher boiling point than Dot 4 if I recall
correctly.

Kurt.