[Spridgets] Where were you when the LBC bug got you?

Bill L pythias at pacifier.com
Thu Oct 27 18:07:26 MDT 2011

Part One.

     When I was 5 years old, I used to get picked up in a BE and taken to
Kindergarten. I didn't realize it until a couple of years ago when I
looked into the door openers of one and it was a kind of Deja Vu......

Part Two..

     A friend of my older brothers had this car in his garage that he
     was going to fix up and get running some day. I don't know if he
     ever did.. (It turned out to be a Jag XK 140), but it looked
     great standing still and like nothing else I'd seen

Part Three...

     Another friend of my brothers had a running MGTF that he would
     take me for rides in when I was in Junior High. What a car, and
     still my favorite "T" series is the F.

Part Four....

     This friends younger brother picked up a clapped out TR3. We
     drove the cr$) out of it for a weekend until we blew it up. Never
     had to slow down for a corner, until the tranny all but locked up
     on us.

Part Five.....

     Back home from college another friend had a Spitfire. It was
     actually his wifes. Every month is was fix something, Brakes,
     Diffy, U-joints... he considered it like a once a month car
     payment. We would bundle up on clear days with the temp in the
     30s, smoke some grass, turn up the tunes and drive......

Part Six......

     Stared going to the ABFM in Portland. WOW, now completely smitten
     I started looking for BE's in the paper. When I mentioned that I
     was looking at them one of the guys at work said "Why don't you
     buy my Sprite. My wife says five cars is too many and I have to
     get rid of one. The Sprite is 95% restored. I'll take between $2k
     and $3k. We settled at $2500. The speedo bounced, the tach was
     out, both headlights worked for the first week, then only one, no
     wiper motor, no heater fan, no working ANY other lights except
     under the dash. The engine smoked on acceleration, the master
     cylinder leaked and had to be filled regularly and it was the
     most fun to drive thing I've ever had. And still have, almost 15
     years later. It's now rattle and squeak free, and the only thing
     that doesn't work is the gas gauge.

--
Best regards,
 Bill L.                           mailto:pythias at pacifier.com

 '66 Sprite MKIII HAN8L49403   "the red thing"

  When there's a will, I want to be in it