[Spridgets] fuel line and brake line

Gerard pixelsmith at gerardsgarage.com
Mon Sep 5 12:49:19 MDT 2011

I strongly caution against using rubber hose wherever possible and
should especially be avoided anywhere below the level of the feed
source. In the event you have a failure in the rubber line, it has the
potential to act as a siphon and drain your fuel tank. I once had this
happen on a 1500 Midget after returning from a drive and parking in
the garage.  About an hour later, I returned to the garage to discover
a strong gasoline smell. There was a short rubber hose, approximately
6", along the bottom of the frame that had ruptured and drained
several gallons of gasoline onto the floor and into the floor drain.
Given that my garage was the bottom floor of the house and there was a
gas water heater about 20 feet away, I was probably only minutes away
from an explosion that certainly would have destroyed the house.

Gerard