[Spridgets] car lift

GUY DAY grday at btinternet.com
Tue Aug 28 13:31:40 MDT 2012

You could try using 4 vertical sections of 4"x4" under the joists as close
as possible to the hanging points and it wouldn't be too difficult to get
hold of some strengthening U shaped metal sections for under where the joist
is used for hanging.  Extend those into a metal support area side to side
between the hanging points.  You could cut a slot into the top of the 4"x 4"
so it holds a little better under the joist.  They would still be a pain and
get in the way.
A normal roofing joist is not designed or constructed to take additional
weight on point loads and like Gerard, would be very, very wary of the
project. You may find the house insurance won't cover you for the rebuild of
a roof if you have dragged it down yourself.

Guy R Day