[Spridgets] Off topic- need help w/96 Ford Ranger issue

Gerard pixelsmith at gerardsgarage.com
Thu Aug 30 01:03:24 MDT 2012

Anyone here familiar with Ford fuel delivery/emission systems?

I have been having a rough idle problems with this truck. I've
replaced the water temp sender and the IAC,  and cleaned the MAF with
the proper cleaner, but there's no significant improvement. The EGR is
new also. I can't find any vacuum leaks either. The problem developed
suddenly. I've run all the voltage and impedance diagnostic tests and
sensors, and everything checks out according to the Haynes manual. I
also do not get and codes on the OBDII code reader. The odd thing is
that if I disconnect the connector to the MAF, the engine runs
smoothly. Some say this indicates a bad MAF, others say that it's
uncertain since it could be another sensor not feeding back to the
MAF, Other feedback I've received indicates different brand vehicles
have their own peculiarities. At this point, I don't want to replace
any more items on "intuition".

Any hep appreciated.

Thanks!

Gerard