[Spridgets] Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Fri Jul 6 09:34:35 MDT 2012

Mike,
It's hard to tell, at this point in time, what the long-term effect of the
change in race sanctioning (PVGP became their own race sanctioning body, last
year) will be.  Some of the VSCCA people were, shall I say, "less than
understanding" about the change and VSCCA was attempting to stage a vintage
racing event on the same date as PVGP.  That fell through, last year, but I
don't know what they are planning for this year.  It is hoped that they will
come to understand and accept PVGP's need to make that change and continue to
support PVGP (there were still a lot of VSCCA cars there, last year, as I
recall).
As I'm not directly involved with the "Race Side" part of PVGP, I haven't been
paying real close attention to race entries other than MGs, so I'll have to
check and see who else might be coming.
>From a purely spectator stand point, I am very happy to see the larger entries
of production based sports cars, which I grew up with and raced, appearing at
Schenley Park.  Interesting though the "seriously exotic" vintage racers are,
after watching pretty much the same ones racing year after year (I've been
attending since the inaugural, 1982 event), I am more than ready for some
changes.
We can only hope that the unique and often quirky ones will return, again, in
the future (maybe this year?).
One thing you do NOT need to worry about, with PVGP's Schenley Park races, is
the (to me) sickening trend in "vintage racing" toward near-new Porsches,
BMWs, Corvettes, LMP cars, and recently obsolete NASCAR racers pushing the
true vintage cars out of the program (due primarily to reduced track time).
The Schenley Park course is just too dangerous for the modern stuff.

Be sure and look me up, Mike.  I look forward to meeting you.

Bud