[Spridgets] Master cylinder maintenance

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Tue Jul 10 15:00:36 MDT 2012

Rick,
Silicone brake fluid and glycol based brake fluids (DOT 5 and DOT 4
respectively) are "chemically incompatible", meaning they will NOT combine
and therefore cannot blend together to form ANYTHING.  This I learned a few
years back, from an article (in Vintage Truck magazine, an EXCELLENT
publication) written by a chemical engineer.  He was pretty specific about
it, as well as pretty adamant.  The guy has his own restoration business,
specializing in vintage trucks, so he's had a lot of experience with this
sort of thing.
Personally, I've gone from glycol to silicone brake fluids, in more than one
vehicle, with no ill effects whatever.

Bud Osbourne