[Spridgets] Racing in Australia

David Booker tncarnut1 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 21:05:15 MDT 2012

Rick, I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, but NASCAR's "manufactured"
cautions to bunch the field up for the final laps have regularly been featured
in the news for years. (see the 3 links Google and I found in about 30 seconds
below) I know that NASCAR denies it, but it is a common story from many
sources including from the drivers themselves.  As for the weight thing, I was
referring to adding weight as a penalty. I admit it has been many years since
I've followed NASCAR (even tho I went to that one race a couple of years ago
at the Glen), so maybe they don't do this anymore. But I seem to remember they
used to make consistently fast teams add weight to equal out the field. This
could easily have been from back when all the cars were in fact different
cars. Back when Smokey Yunick was involved and when if the rule book did not
specifically say you could not do something, it meant that you could do it if
you were smart enough to figure it
 out.

I used to love NASCAR when I was a kid and they were called Stock
Cars. All the cars were different from each other, and the term "win on
Sunday, sell on Monday" meant something. There are many classes raced in SCCA
and American LeMans series for instance like this now. You're right - these
guys are for the most part not racing the same thing you can buy off the new
car lot, but they are very similar. The 4 cylinder Acuras or Fords or
Volkswagens, the rotary Mazdas, six cylinder Porsches and BMWs, or V8
Mustangs, Camaros and Corvettes race with the same type of engine driving the
same wheels as the cars on the street. That just appeals to me far more than a
spec series where the cars are only painted to look like something on the
street. Doesn't make it good or bad, just doesn't hold any interest at all for
me (except when they run on a road course and the skillset required is
ratcheted up a few notches).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSIDAJyxlvc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyOvkG0XWyA&feature=relmfu
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nascar/story/2012-04-30/nascar-caution-flags-debr
is-caution-tony-stewart-carl-edwards-richmond

David