[Spridgets] Master cylinder maintenance

Allen Hefner lbc77mg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 07:54:29 MDT 2012

And one other thought, Phil. Glycol based brake fluid is hygroscopic, so it
attracts water. Make sure you flush the brake (and clutch) system every two
years to replace the old fluid. Racers do that after every race.

In my old Mitsubishi I didn't do this and lost brakes in the PA foothills.
Loads of fun trying to slow down into the Hegins valley. When I got home, I
flushed the system and the fluid was blood red with rust.

Changing the fluid is not as important with silicone, but I still like
glycol better. It gives a better pedal feel, and IF there is any water in
the system from humidity in the air, it won't pool at low points in the
brake pipes as it will with silicone fluid. Silicone brake fluid is
hygrophobic.

BTW, Castrol GT LMA brake fluid is DOT 4, so it has a higher boiling point
than the cheaper DOT 3. Stick with the good stuff.

(How'm I doin', Ed?)

 Allen Hefner
Norristown, PA

*Current:*