[Spridgets] Ideas to take my 59 Sprite to the next step?

Kirk Hargreaves khargreaves2 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 21:49:52 MDT 2012

What might be the next thing I could do in order to get more power out of
my car?

1275 stock (with stock low compression).

What benefit would be gained with an aluminum head?  Is it possible to
achieve a noticeable gain in HP by having my current head shaved by a
machine shop?  I eventually want to get hardened valve seats for unleaded
gas so that I no longer need to be putting lead additive in my fuel.  I am
not sure how far I could take the head down without causing other issues?
I would then run octane boost with the highest octane gas at the pump. . ?

Would running a higher lift longer duration cam be the next step,
possibly?  A street cam, nothing radical, but something that might give me
more performance?

I am currently running a Weber DCOE 45 (actually an OER with the same specs
that takes the same internals), headers, Geo Metro radiator with electric
fan, electric fuel pump and a Pertronix inside of a Mallory dual point
along with a Monza exhaust.  I have also added other things such as disc
brakes and urethane bushings along with lower harder racing springs, sway
bar, nice low mileage rib case.

Any input most appreciated.

Thanks,

Kirk

PS
I plan to buy a compression tester as my old one is not working correctly.
  The engine has been running smooth and it feels as though it is providing
a nice level of power . . but nothing that exciting. It would not surprise
me if one or more of my cylinders is below spec (due to unleaded gas
against the stock valve seats and some inconsistency over the years adding
lead additive).