[Spridgets] Am I running the wrong Speedo drive gear?

Mark Haynes haynes386 at netzero.net
Fri Jun 22 08:16:46 MDT 2012

Got the MKII out for a drive to town and back yesterday (60+ mi) and as I was
coming home, I realized that everyone was doing well under the speed
limit(according to my speedo) where they usually are doing ~5 mph over. Going
up the canyon, my speedo said that we were doing 35 mph, but I was turning
3000 R's in 4th gear!. On a short stint on the highway, I was running 55mph at
4500 R's.
The diff is a 4.22:1, but I had to replace the trans last year with a used
one- its a ribcase with an 1100G laygear in it. It just doesn't feel right,
like I'm running a speedo gear for a 4.88 diff.
Any thoughts? The tach is a repro electronic with VDO internals and a Smiths
face, so I'm pretty sure its acurate.

Mark Haynes
It only goes one way-Pay it Forward
HAN6L12977