[Spridgets] FW: How's the car running/tires

brian S bugeye15 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 25 08:18:37 MDT 2012

Hey Mark,

Great idea about the O rings, I'll give that a try.
As far as tires go,
I have the BFG Comp Comp T/A R1's that I got a few years back.
They were the Formula Ford Spec tire.
I'm really debating my next set of tires.
Don't really want to spend $700 on a set of tires for it that the 185/60
R888's would be.
If I did do the 185/60's I am thinking about the Falken Ziex 912's.
tires-easy.com has them for $60 each.
Or maybe Federal SS-595, $70 each.

I kinda like the idea of 175/70's. Reason being it would give me some
more ground clearance in my lowered Bugeye. I'm constantly scraping my
sacrificial exhaust pipe clamps. In and out of my driveway, speed bumps and
over
significant road dips.
There doesn't seem to be any performance type tire in this size though.
In this size, I'm kind of leaning towards the General Altimax RT's.

Or maybe the Accelera Alpha, appears to be a Toyo T1R knockoff, H rated,
billed as a UHP tire, pretty decent ratings.

Brian S.
Bugeyeracer finally resto'ed!
Thanks to Frank C.!

> From: haynes386 at netzero.net
> Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 14:25:35 +0000
> To: bugeye15 at hotmail.com
> CC: spridgets at autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: [Spridgets] How's the car running?
>
> Hey Brian,
> Good to hear you have it driving. I had a similar oil leak on my MKII after
I built the 948 for it, I solved it by putting a couple of silicone o-rings
(Just small enough to be snug over the bolts of the tappet covers) on the
bolts under the flat washers. I was going through oil pretty quickly, now its
dry as a bone (sweet after all of the work I put into the car).
> RE: Tires-
> Are you running the Proxes RA1s or the BFG Comp TAs? I've got some almost
worn out 185/60 Proxes RA1s on my BE and experience the same difference
between the MKII on Sumitomo 175/70 HTR200s as you felt on the 155s. The MKII
is slidey/slippery in the turns where the BE is rock solid when thrown about.
I've been looking for some more RA1s, but after the rep said that they could
do a short run for me and a couple of friends, he reneged and said that they
couldn't do it, so I'm left with either the R888s or the Hoosiers, and I don't
put it on the track, so the Hoosiers are out (10-12 heat cycles and they are
slippery). Any other possibilities that you know of?