[Spridgets] Planning advice

Michael Rowe mdrowe at optonline.net
Wed Mar 21 12:48:42 MDT 2012

I must pull my engine to replace the clutch TO bearing (Peter May has roller bearings), so am thinking about other things to do.  Because of my surgery, I will be pretty slow for a while, and it makes some sense to do smaller jobs before the engine comes out, as I hope to have enough OSHIT help to get it out and back in a day.

I have several spare rib-case transmissions of unknown quality, one of which I believe to be in good condition and could be swapped (how can I tell?).  Does it make sense to spend $120 on a transmission overhaul kit for an unknown transmission?  The one currently  in the car clearly needs an overhaul, but that will delay the reinstallation.

I think I have a lot of leakage from the valve stems.  I have a very tired spare engine that came with the car that will require a complete overhaul at some point.  Does it make sense to pull and rebuild the head on that spare engine to swap with the in-use head?  Again, it reduces the time required for the reinstallation.

All of this assumes that I will recover enough to do some small jobs in preparation.  Aging sucks!

Michael Rowe
'74 Bugeyed Midget
'60 Sprite kit
Long Island, NY