[Spridgets] Steel grades

Tim Collins thcollin at mtu.edu
Tue Nov 13 13:00:11 MST 2012

When I was teaching at the U I purchased 2 muffler type jack stands
to test to failure. We had a 120,000 universal test machine (big
press).to test them on. The jacks were made of muffler tubing (that
style) with the base circumference cut into thirds and then splayed
out to make the three feet or legs of the jack. Those legs were held
together at the very bottom by metal straps welded between legs. The
upper part of the base had holes at various heights for adjustments.
The second part that slides inside the base pipe was just a pipe with
holes for the adjustment and an upper most saddle onto which the axle sits.

We loaded the jack up to 6000lbs - the rated capacity - with no
problem. We kept going until failure. I wish I remembered all the
numbers, but that was a long time ago. What I do remember is that the
jack legs failed first - they buckled. However there was plenty of
warning that the jack was being crushed and the jack still was
holding an appreciable load. Now remember that there was a slow
steady load applied - no impact and the load was applied
perpendicular to the support surface. No crazy offset loading or
impact loads. All in all the jacks performed within the specs and
well beyond. Now don't be silly and use muffler pipe jacks to support
your D9 dozer just because they can carry more than 6000 lbs. OK? And
don't even think of using a concrete block!!

At 08:59 PM 11/12/2012, dwoerpel at wi.net wrote:
>OK, metallurgists.  I'm looking at a set of jack stands and the pins
>are made of #20 steel.  What does that mean?  I've determined
>it's probably a China grading but haven't been able to find anything (that
>I could understand).  How does the numbering system show strength,
>etc.?
>
>Just curious,
>Dave W.
>
>spridgets at autox.team.net