[Spridgets] Valve Guide Position

Dean Hedin dlh2001 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 20 16:54:59 MST 2012

I'm putting together a 1098 12G295 head this winter.

I thought I would machine a drift and a spacer to assist when I install the
new valve guides.  My spacer is a cylindrical piece of steel that fits in
the spring pocket that I can use to tap the guide down to the gauged height.

The manual indicated that 1098 guides were set .540" above the head.
The existing guides in my head are set to .470" above the head.
Actually the ones in the head have some variation +- .010.

I'm guessing the previous owner of the head either didn't know what they
were doing or they were running a radical cam.

Is there some other reason why they are set this low?  Like different valve
guide seals?

Speaking of seals, who offers Viton valve guide seals for the spridget
engine?  Are they worth it?

I was going to go with the silicone bronze guides unless someone can tell me
otherwise.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.