[Spridgets] It's just meant to be

Jeff Foster tr3.4.me at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 15:48:42 MDT 2012

Well guys I guess it was just meant to be...

I sold my 73 Midget in July of last year after finding a 1-owner, all
original, Opel GT nearby. Truth be told, I was looking for an Opel GT
when I stumbled upon the Midget and bought it back in '07.

Had a ton of fun and really didn't want to give up my Midget but my
wife wouldn't drive it anyway (she drove my Opel GT frequently when we
started dating back in the early 80's), and we both agreed that we
really didn't have the space or funds to keep both cars.

Sold the Midget to a young enthusiast at a reasonable profit.  He
proceeded to upgrade the wheels and tires (minilite replicas), tossed
the points and put in a new electronic distributor, pulled the DelOrto
carb and Canon intake and put on a Weber downdraft carb, and addressed
a few niggling little things I hadn't gotten to.

Apparently he wanted something more dependable and cushy and traded it
in on a Saturn Skyline a couple of months ago and the car subsequently
passed to a former car dealer and serious car guy that was really
wanting a Bugeye. This guy ended up buying 4 or 5 cars in the pursuit
of building his Bugeye and decided he really didn't need the Midget
and wanted it out of his way.

I ended up buying it back this week - with all the upgrades AND the
removed parts - for less than my original purchase price 5 years ago!
And the Opel stays in the garage too! (My daily driver will just have
to sit in the driveway for now until I sort out where to keep
everything else)

Haven't been able to wipe this smile off my face for several days now!

BTW, I never unsub'd from this list after selling the Midget 'cause
the sense of friendship/camaraderie here is not to be found on any
other list I've been on!