[Spridgets] generator/regulator

Dean Hedin dlh2001 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 28 17:48:01 MDT 2013

I disagree Mike,

There are'nt even ball bearings in the original generator setup.  Then the
regulator, adjustment would drift as the points wore,
Or they would fuse together totally if the car sat for any amount of time.
It was a mess.

In my mind, the only reason to run the generator is if your doing it for the
concours aspect and you trailer the car to the shows.

With the early cars a reason often given to stay with the generator is to
preserve the tach drive.

I say that the original mechanical tach is also a liability, and it is
easier & better to locate an aftermarket tach with the same sweep
and transplant it's internals into a junked original tach (which is what I
did) or substitute a later leyland electric tach.

Like Collins, I'm going to post detailed pics of my conversion with the
Honda alternator.  The more "know working options"
the better.

Now, all this being said, it is all because we wish to drive the car without
worry.  But I have kept the original generator
and the tach drive (and a good tach) to hand down to the next owner should
they desire to go back to original.

I would say that converting to an alternator was the best thing I ever did.
I did that back when Frank posted those original
instructions.  I have had zero charging issues since that conversion.  I've
gone through one battery since the conversion.
But I suspect the alternator will out live me.

I seem to recall that there was somebody who was inserting alternator guts
into original Lucas generators housings.
Anybody recall who that is?